Saturday 28 August 2010

A quick response from Mike Symon MP, Member for Deakin: a vote well worth casting


I wrote to Mike Symon, the member for Deakin - and my local MP - a couple of days ago, about my little hobby horse on which I have already posted here.  

This morning, in an email marked 9.10am, I have received a reply.  How about that for speed from your local MP!  Not only did I receive a speedy reply.  I received a reply in which his own opinion was expressed - not ambiguous, bob each way, mealy mouthed wording.  No!  I received a reply expressing a point of view intelligently and intelligibly.  Thanks, Mike.  I know I did the right thing in voting for you.  

Now, while I take Mike's point, I am not sure I altogether agree with him.  I am a sort of "where there is a will there is a way" girl.  And - because there is no vote in the situation I am asking for - I don't think there is much in the way of breaching of the constitution. And I am only asking for it when results are known - so it could be held as first cab off the rank after the opening of Parliament.  The letter is published below.

~~~~~~
Thank you for your email regarding the outcome of the election, I appreciate you taking the time to write to me.
I don’t think your suggestion that the two Houses of Parliament be convened to discuss our democracy is possible under the Constitution – such a meeting only happens after a double dissolution. If you would like a straight forward explanation of the present situation I would recommend that you follow this link to Antony Green’s web page http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2010/08/hung-parliament-where-to-from-here.html#more
I am a strong believer in the democratic nature of our Parliamentary party system.  I have my vote and say in the Caucus and I have pledged to support the will of the majority of our party room. This Caucus has served us well for many decades and it enables the progressive policies of the ALP to be put into effect. The National and State conferences also play an important role in developing policies, and it is in these meetings that there is more public debate.
I look forward to continuing as the Member for Deakin and I am keen to help my constituents in any way I can.  At present, I do not know which side will form the next Government, if Labor remains in Government I can assure you that we will continue to provide sound economic management and progressive policies like the National Broadband Network, revitalised health and education systems and action on climate change.
It has been a pleasure to assist you with your enquiry, if you have any other Federal Government related issues or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours Sincerely,

Mike Symon
Federal Labor Member for Deakin
Phone: (03) 9874 4544
Fax:     (03) 9874 4644
Mail:    PO Box 232, Mitcham VIC 3132

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not take Anonymous comments. Experience shows that comments cluttered with "Anonymous" are boring and people don't know whether "Anonymous" is one person or many. This is not a decision about freedom of speech. It is a decision about boring or unwillingness to be known by even a pseudonym.

Total Pageviews