Thursday 9 September 2010

Rob Oakeshott's maiden speech - 22 October, 2008


It pays to ask questions, Networkers.  On Tuesday, there was mention made of Rob Oakeshott's maiden speech in the House of Representatives. So I went looking for it.  Now I am a regular trawler of the www.aph.gov.au website - but I struck problems.  I couldn't link, as I usually do, to the page for a member of the House of Reps.  On this page, I would expect to find a link to the member's first parliamentary speech.

All I could get was a download of members names and contact details - no link.  Odd, I thought.  Maybe something had been disappeared because of the election.

I rang the Parliament House access number and got the helpful Charmaine.  Told her my problem.  She needed to follow up and ask some questions and she would get back to me later in the day.  Well, that didn't happen.

However, she has been on to me first thing this morning.  Yes the access to members pages had been taken down because of the election - but now it has been re-instated.  Therefore, I could access the link to the maiden speech and here it is.  Please go here to be linked to Rob Oakeshott's maiden speech.  I have also converted this to a Word document and this is embedded below so that you can download it and print it out easily.

And all this is thanks to Charmaine and the ever so helpful Hansard people and the people who manage the aph.gov.au website..

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not take Anonymous comments. Experience shows that comments cluttered with "Anonymous" are boring and people don't know whether "Anonymous" is one person or many. This is not a decision about freedom of speech. It is a decision about boring or unwillingness to be known by even a pseudonym.

Total Pageviews