Saturday 13 July 2013

Miss Eagle replies to Eva Cox - I'm in and I want a women's election agenda

In the post below this one, Eva Cox asks if the women of Australia wish to write their own election agenda. My reply is below.  If you too wish to reply to Eva, here are the addresses to which I replied:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Eva,

You asked in yesterday's letter "Are there any takers?"  Well, no. Speaking for myself I don't want to be seen as a taker.  Am I in?  Yep, I'm in.  

How do we - considering there could be a date proclaimed any day now - set a feminist policy agenda for this part of the 21st century?  How do we ensure that there is something in it for everyone - black, white and brindle/old, young and in-between/poor-middle-wealthy/capital cities-regions-bush/born&bred-migrant heritage-recent arrivals/professional-skilled-unskilled and so on?

We could make one section of the campaign a GIVE BACK WHAT YOU'VE TAKEN policy. Give back what you have taken from people (single parents, NT Intervention horrors etc) and from human services.  

Can we hold both major political forces to account?  I imagine that I am not the only one who wants NOT to vote for either an Abbott or a Rudd Government?  Can we hold the media, bigotry, and racism to account?

Below are the addresses
to which the above email was addressed:

 Eva Cox <ecox1@bigpond.net.au>
cc: Ashleigh wel Lustica <alustica@welnsw.org.au>,
 The Sydney Feminists <info@meetup.com>,
 ausfempolnet <ausfem-polnet@postoffice.utas.edu.au>,
 dissenting voices <dissenting-voices@listserv.uts.edu.au>,
 womenforwik <womenforwik@whatsworking.com.au>

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not take Anonymous comments. Experience shows that comments cluttered with "Anonymous" are boring and people don't know whether "Anonymous" is one person or many. This is not a decision about freedom of speech. It is a decision about boring or unwillingness to be known by even a pseudonym.

Total Pageviews