ASKING GOVERNMENT TO KICKSTART SOLAR
BY FUNDING LARGE BASELOAD SOLAR POWER STATIONS.
It would mean a lot to us if you took a moment to add your name because:
• Unless CO2 emissions drop dramatically in the next few years, the planet is likely to heat up by 4°C by the end of the century, making parts of it uninhabitable for most species, including ourselves.
is on track to becoming the world’s fourth largest greenhouse gas emitter, and one of the planet’s biggest contributors to climate change. Australia
• This is because of the massive amount of coal we export for coal-fired power stations, as well as our own domestic use. And our coal exports are rising rapidly.
therefore needs to take urgent action to switch to renewable energy and break our dependence on fossil fuels. Australia
• A plan for
to make a complete change to renewable energy by 2020 has been designed and costed by Beyond Zero Emissions, using technology which is now available. This plan includes Baseload Solar Power Stations, which can store energy. The designers of the BZE plan suggest Australia NSW, SA and as the most suitable locations for the initial three power stations. All Members of Parliament have been presented with the BZE plan. Queensland
• The switch to renewable energy is possible but needs full government support to get started and encourage investment. The cost of three Baseload Solar Power Stations is estimated at approx. 1 billion dollars.
• The Carbon Tax introduced in 2011 was a good start but will not have an effect on investment in renewables for around 15 years, which is too late.
• We believe the government needs to take the hard decisions to fund large baseload solar power stations and make them viable as a matter of urgency.
After you've signed the petition please also take a moment to share it with others. Together we can reach heaps of people and help create change around this important issue.
Naomi and the BBCCA group